Less than a month to go before the Nov. 5th PPV showdown between Manny Pacquiao vs Jessie Vargas.
Manny Pacquiao’s short-lived retirement is officially ending.
The Filipino senator announced Tuesday he’ll return to challenge WBO welterweight titleholder, Jessie Vargas on November 5. Top Rank CEO Bob Arum told reporters last month the fight would happen in Las Vegas. HBO PPV will likely televise.
“Boxing is my passion. I miss what I’d been doing inside the gym and atop the ring,” said Manny Pacquiao, who has won titles in a record eight divisions.
Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs) announced his retirement following an April thrashing of Timothy Bradley in their third encounter.
The 37-year-old Pacquiao said he was stepping away to concentrate on politics and went on to win a senate seat. However, it was clear he still had much to give in the ring.
His Hall of Fame trainer, Freddie Roach, told USA TODAY Sports that he wanted his fighter to return because he remained one of the sport’s elite athletes.
And, of course, despite a nine-figure payday for his loss to Floyd Mayweather last year, the charitable Pacquiao can use the money.
“Boxing is my main source of income,” he said. “I can’t rely on my salary as public official. I’m helping the family of my wife and my own family, as well. Many people also come to me to ask for help, and I just couldn’t ignore them.”
Stay tuned and don’t miss the Pacman’s return!